Tuesday 19 January 2010

For Vaughan


Grief dismembered me

Removed arms for hugging

Eyes for weeping, for scanning the exits

A tongue to cry out

Grief stopped my heart from quickening

Stole legs for running away, for moving towards, for stuttering steps


Immobile, I


Grief passed me his scalpel

I clenched it in my teeth

Pared away flesh, exposed nerve

Excised friend, home, memory

Loss cauterized the wounds


Tribeless, I


Grief suckled me, stroked my hair

“There, there. What need have you for hands to signal ‘Help, I’m drowning’?.

I will shelter you”.


Helpless, I

In the riptide


Time shuffled past, eroded grief’s grip

Created openings through which sprigs of life might slip and bloom

Light slanted shyly through


Illuminated, I


Time showed me other griefs, larger than mine

More valid

Self pity, exposed, self-immolates


Awakening, I


Then you,

Laid back, healthy, happened along

‘What are you doing with these?’

Plucked the shutters from my eyes

Unpinned my arms, wrapped so tightly around myself

You sneaked in the gap

We blossomed there


A warming embrace, given and received, breaks grief’s spell


Remembered, I


Unfriended grief; neutered and neutralized it

To set aside for now


Arms hug and are held

Legs move towards, wrap around

Eyes open, smile

Tongue speaks joy


Reconnected, I


Feel alive


Xo

No comments: